StanChart CEO seeks to reassure staff over AI-linked job cuts

StanChart CEO seeks to reassure staff over AI-linked job cuts

HONG KONG, May 20 (Reuters) - Standard Chartered CEO Bill Winters sought to assuage staff concerns on Wednesday, a day ‌after saying that the bank will cut thousands of ‌jobs over the next four years as it moves to replace "lower-value human capital" ​with technology.

Reuters

"Many of you will have seen media coverage following the Investor Event in Hong Kong, particularly the reporting around automation, AI, and workforce changes," Winters said in a memo to the bank's ‌staff reviewed by Reuters.

"I ⁠know this may be unsettling when reduced to simple headlines or a quote out of context," he ⁠said.

A spokesperson for the bank confirmed the memo's content.

StanChart said on Tuesday it would cut 15% of its corporate function roles by 2030, ​which, ​according to a Reuters calculation, would ​result in nearly 8,000 ‌redundancies out of its more than 52,000 staff in such roles.

Advertisement

The bank cited AI as a driver to slim its operations in its quest to increase profitability and tackle competition.

"It's not cost-cutting. It's replacing in some cases lower-value human capital with the financial ‌capital and the investment capital we're putting ​in," Winters said on Tuesday.

In his ​memo to staff on ​Wednesday, Winters said the bank had been open ‌that its workforce will evolve.

"Some roles ​will reduce in ​number, some will change, and new opportunities will emerge. We will continue to prioritise investment in reskilling and redeployment wherever ​we can," he ‌said.

"Where changes do happen, we will handle them with ​thought and care," he added.

(Reporting by Selena Li; Editing by ​Sumeet Chatterjee and Alexander Smith)

 

SnS MAG © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com